Alcove is a bustling neighborhood restaurant that highlights coastal New England cuisine. Nestled next to the Zakim Bridge and steps away from the TD Garden and North Station, they are entering their fifth year as a destination in the West End, with a beautiful four-season waterfront patio and an award-winning beverage program.
Scope & General Purpose:
The Chef de Cuisine of Alcove oversees all culinary operations, in collaboration with the General Manager and Owner, Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli. The primary focuses of this role are team leadership, menu development & execution, care of the kitchen space, and collaborative work with other team members towards Alcove financial success. The Chef de Cuisine is multi-faceted and a great communicator. Alcove strives for excellence in all aspects of service, including in-restaurant dining, private events, patio service, lunch service, and all components of being a guest-driven, dynamic restaurant. The Chef de Cuisine is passionate about getting the details right, continually improving, meeting all established standards for food quality and safety, and inspiring a team of developing culinary professionals.
The Alcove Kitchen Team is committed to the following job components, designed to create a meaningful, growth-oriented position:
- Recognize that Alcove success is centered around building a diverse, inclusive and team with varying skill sets and experience levels;
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with the BOH team that express a commitment to the kitchen team members and food program;
- Be a business-oriented leader, understanding that a Chef role extends past the plate into all elements of restaurant operations;
- Exude passion for food, teaching, fast-paced restaurant life, and strategic planning related to your kitchen
Schedule: Full-time schedule, with shifts across Alcove’s hours of operation. Ability to lead a Sous Chef team who can execute all elements of service during days off and time away.
Management Structure: Reports to Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli, Owner
- Ensure the quality of the food offered by the restaurant is of the highest standard, reflective of Alcove identity, and restaurant execution needs
- Present seasonal, regular menu changes, with thought given to food creativity, cost, and execution of each dish. Incorporate Sous Chefs into menu development in a meaningful, professional, and growth-oriented manner
- Select, hire, train, manage, and coach a full kitchen staff covering Sous Chefs, a Pastry Chef, Line Cooks, Prep Cooks, & Kitchen Utility
- Commit to teaching all incoming kitchen staff knife skills, cooking techniques, food safety and other necessary skills
- Establish the mise en place for each station as needed per shift and supervise staff to ensure the quality of the food coming off of their station
- Run the kitchen in line with established financial standards, including food and labor costs, repairs & maintenance budgets, and established sales goals
- Keep the restaurant compliant with all applicable health codes and regulations
- Design and regularly update the restaurant’s food menus and develop recipes in conjunction with the Executive Chef and Owner
- Write, maintain, and train staff on the recipe book
- Oversee food orders, inventory, and relationships with vendors, and maintain an appropriate inventory based on volume
- Provide for continuing education and development of both the front- and back-of-house staff
- Be the voice of the kitchen in pre-meal briefings and provide information on products, techniques, and the provenance of what we serve
- Display commitment to volume-oriented service with precise execution
- Participate in and help oversee off-site catering, public events, private events, and key Alcove marketing opportunities
- Contribute to both seasonal and regular menu changes, with thought given to creativity, cost, and execution of each dish
- Teach line cooks to execute all components of the menu
- Complete food orders and food inventory, taking appropriate inventory daily based on volume
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a high-volume culinary business
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of health and sanitation code and policies
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- High integrity and professionalism
- Able to work ten hour-plus shifts, stand, sit, squat, or walk for extended periods of time, walk up and down stairs, and tolerate both extreme hot and cold working environments
- Able to grasp, reach overhead, push, lift, and carry up to 50 pounds
- A positive, joyful, upbeat, and energetic attitude – leading by example
Alcove is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, sex, religion, gender, transgender status, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, genetic information, or other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply, please send your resume to the email provided below.