Alcove is a vibrant neighborhood restaurant, with food inspired by the farm coast and hosted in a beautiful waterfront space in Boston’s West End. Alcove ambience and business operations are supported by the energy of Boston’s TD Garden, surrounding neighborhoods and centralized location, drawing diners for lunch and dinner.
This is a key leadership role, overseeing a developed team of Sous Chefs, Pastry Chef and dedicated hourly employees. This role works in partnership with the General Manager to manage all aspects of culinary operations and join in the financial success of the restaurant, with attention to menu development, executions, intersection with service & hospitality and thoughtful care of all employees.
This restaurant is volume orientated, celebrating large scale events and foot traffic, with focus on smaller scale moments in hospitality, including unique menu opportunities and private events.
This CDC role will allow the right individual to run a single culinary concept fully, with consideration given to upcoming projects and room for growth.
They offer a competitive base salary, benefits, relocation stipend and education reimbursement opportunity.
Chef de Cuisine
Alcove is a vibrant neighborhood restaurant, with food inspired by the farm coast and hosted in a beautiful waterfront space in Boston’s West End.
Scope & General Purpose: The Chef de Cuisine of Alcove oversees all culinary operations, in collaboration with the General Manager and Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli, Owner. The primary focuses of this role are team leadership, menu development & execution, care of kitchen space and collaborative work with other team members towards Alcove financial success. The Chef de Cuisine is multi-faceted and a great communicator. Alcove strives for excellence in all aspects of service, including in-restaurant dining, private events, patio service, lunch service and all components of being a guest driven, dynamic
restaurant. The Chef de Cuisine is passionate about getting the details right, continually improving, meeting all established standards for food quality and safety
The CDC of Alcove is committed to the following job components, designed to create a meaningful, growth oriented position:
- Recognize that Alcove success is centered around building a diverse, inclusive and team with varying skill sets and experience level
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with the management team that express a commitment to Alcove identity, growth and guest experience
- Be a business oriented leader, understanding that a Chef role extends past the plate into all elements of restaurant operations.
- Exude passion for food, teaching, fast paced restaurant life and strategic planning related to your kitchen.
Schedule: Full Time, varying schedule. As dictated by the needs of the restaurant. Ability to lead a Sous Chef team who can execute all elements of service during days off and time away.
- Able to work 8-10 hour shifts, plus ability to stand, sit, squat or walk for extended periods of time, walk up and down stairs
- Able to grasp, reach overhead, push, lift and carry up to 50 pounds
Management Structure: Reports to Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli, Owner.
- Ensuring the quality of the food offered by the restaurant is of the highest standard, reflective of Alcove identity and restaurant execution needs.
- Present seasonal, regular menu changes, with thought given to food creativity, cost and execution of each dish. Incorporate Sous Chefs into menu development in meaningful, professional growth oriented manner
- Select, hire, train, manage, and coach a full kitchen staff, covering Sous Chefs, Pastry Chef, Line Cooks, Prep Cooks & Kitchen Utility
- Commit to teaching all incoming kitchen staff knife skills, cooking techniques, food safety and other necessary skills.
- Establish the mise en place for each station, as needed per shift and supervise staff to ensure the quality of the food coming off of their station.
- Run the kitchen in line with established financial standards, including food and labor costs, repairs & maintenance and established sales goals.
- Keeping the restaurant compliant with all applicable health codes regulations.
- Designing and regularly updating the restaurant’s food menus and developing recipes.
- Write, maintain and train staff on the recipe book.
- Overseeing food orders, food inventory, and relationships with vendors, and maintain an appropriate inventory based on volume.
- Providing for the continuing education and development for both the front- and back-of-the-house staff.
- Be the voice of the kitchen in pre-meal briefings and provide information on products, techniques, and the provenance of what they serve.
- Display commitment to volume oriented service with precise execution.
- Participate in and help oversee off site catering, public events, private events and key Alcove marketing opportunities.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a high-volume culinary business
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced, ever changing work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of health and sanitation code and policies
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- High integrity and professionalism
- A positive, joyful, upbeat and energetic attitude – leading by example
Alcove does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. They are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment free from discrimination and harassment for their employees
Apply via the email address below.