Expand your culinary horizons with help from Wusong Road’s chef-owner Jason Doo and his healthy and creative version of his favorite air frying recipe. Chef Doo opened the new Cambridge eatery earlier this year, sharing the culinary love story of classical American Chinese cuisine and tropical Tiki escapism. Join this talented chef virtually on Thursday, March 17th for his twist on Uighur Naan with roasted Hongshao Qiezi dip with Boston Globe correspondent Kara Baskin. Uighur Naan is a flatbread typically thinner in the middle with thicker edges (it looks a bit like a pizza without sauce) and served on the streets around the Xinjiang region of China. RSVP here for the free event and get the recipe below so you can follow along at home, or you can always tune in and try the recipe out another time at your leisure.
JASON DOO’S UIGHUR NAAN WITH ROASTED HONGSHAO QIEZI DIP
Uighur Naan Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup of warm water
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Chili Ghee Ingredients (to brush onto your Naan)
2 tablespoons chili crisp oil
5 tablespoons Ghee
2 teaspoons minced garlic (fresh
2 teaspoons minced cilantro
Uighur Naan Recipe
1. Bloom yeast in warm water and let bloom for 5 minutes.
2. Make dough and let double in size.
3. Separate into 10 portions, roll flat.
4. Use either a pizza cutter or Uighur stamps to make appropriate design.
5. Take flattened dough and place in air fryer basket and spray with oil.
6. Cook on 370 for 6 minutes, flip and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Brush with Chili ghee and herbs before serving.
Hongshao Dip Ingredients
5 Chinese eggplant, halved lengthwise
3 tbsp. light brown sugar
2 tbsp. Chinese chili bean paste
1 tbsp. tomato paste1 bay leaf
1⁄2 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns, crushed
1 1⁄2 tsp. dark soy sauce
1 tsp. fennel seeds
2 chiles heaven facing (steeped in water and minced)
2 tbsp. Chinese cooking wine
8 tsp. fish sauce
3 cloves garlic, mashed
1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
1 tbsp. finely chopped thai basil
1⁄4 cup Chili crisp oil
Hongshao Dip Recipe
1. Cook Eggplant in the preheated 400F air fryer until eggplant and garlic are tender and eggplant is deep golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Remove and allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
3. Put everything in a food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Place everything in a sauce pot and cook until flavors meld.
5. Season with salt if necessary. Garnish with herbs.