Charred Tomato Jus
By Chef Frank Toohey
- 6-8 vine ripened tomatoes
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onions, sliced
- fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, basil), chopped
- vegetable stock
- olive oil
- Toss whole tomatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place on grill over medium high heat.
- Turn often as soon as the skin starts to char; try to save as much juice as possible.
- Sweat onion, shallot and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
- When tomatoes are sufficiently charred, add to pot.
- Cover with vegetable stock or water and let simmer until tomatoes have broken down completely.
- Remove from heat and carefully puree in a blender in small batches.
- Force liquid through a strainer with the back of a spoon.
- Add herbs and seasoning while still hot. Serve immediately or cool and reserve.