The Cafe at Taj Boston is seeking an Executive Sous Chef.
The Executive Sous Chef will be responsible for the smooth operation of the kitchens, taking particular responsibility for Banquets, Room service and Main kitchen, Menu compilation, training, food production, pass service standards, goods receiving and ordering, as well as hygiene and sanitation. Will be involved in preparing, cooking and presenting food in accordance with productivity standards and cost controls. Work closely with the Culinary and Catering teams in evaluating service, food quality and improve operational efficiency. Monitor the cleanliness and upkeep of the kitchen and the equipment. Insure positive customer and employee relations. Prepare food items in accordance with production requirements and quality standards while maintaining a safe sanitary working environment. Be part of a truly engaged and productive workforce and help insure that they become the Employer of Choice.
- Determines time and sequence of cooking operations to meet banquet serving hours.
- Selects and develops recipes based on type of food to be prepared.
- Portions cooked foods, or gives instructions to workers as to size of portions and methods of garnishing.
- To run and control all aspects of your section to the established standards.
- To be involved in ordering, maintaining pars and stock rotation, as well as directing the receiving team as needed.
- Assist in setting and maintaining the ordering, requisition and receiving standards.
- To minimize and advise of accumulated daily wastage to be recorded.
- To liase with all kitchen staff with-in the area to ensure a correct and professional operation is conducted with-in all outlets.
- To ensure that all perishable items are stored quickly and efficiently thus avoiding unnecessary quantities being held within the kitchen areas, always ensuring complete utilization of all items made within the minimal wastage as possible.
- To monitor the cooking, chilling and storage of foods, keeping records as required and taking appropriate action where necessary to ensure that they comply with the HACCP procedures.
- To supervise, train and coach staff throughout the section, taking appropriate action to maintain safe and equitable work levels whilst being sensitive to, and aware of, problems and health issues, bringing them to the attention of the SC or HC if necessary, in order to maintain a disciplined but harmonious working environment.
- To assist when asked by the Executive Chef office to work in various other outlets such as banqueting and the production kitchen, during hours other then the scheduled training hours of the business.
- At the end of the working day to ensure all areas and sections have been cleared and cleaned correctly.
- Ensure that all accidents are recorded correctly and to the required standard
- To ensure all advanced food preparation is completed conforming to set standards and recipes.
- In an A La Carte situation to be aware and ensuring the timing set by the pass for the service of individual orders, ensuring service runs smoothly and that the guests receive total satisfaction.
- To be aware of menu’s daily changes and banqueting function passed on to you by a senior member of the team.
- To ensure that all items are labeled, dated and correctly rotated.
- To order foodstuffs as required and ensure that stock is rotated, labeled and stored in compliance with procedures laid out by senior chefs, so that food safety and quality is maintained.
- Bring to the attention of the Sous Chef Maintenance issues so that Maintenance Dockets can be issued, thereby ensuring that the Kitchen fabric and equipment is kept in a safe, cleanable and fully functional condition.
- To liaise with other departments as appropriate to ensure the smooth service of food from the kitchen.
- To set and maintain the standards for all offsite culinary activities, including but not limited to catamaran trips, etc.
- Support the Events team as needed.
- To carry out any projects as requested by the Executive Chef.
- To assist other members of the team and other departments as requested whenever needed.
- Ability to maintain hotel’s standards, policies and procedures with all kitchen personnel.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and delegate work assignments.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Chef de Cuisine, Sous Chef & Pastry Chef in order to manage the day to day operations and its challenges.
- Ability to perform as the leader during Executive Chef’s absence
- Ability to direct performance of kitchen staff and follow up with corrections where needed.
- Ability to motivate kitchen staff and maintain a cohesive team.
- Ability to promote positive work relationships with service personnel and other departments.
- Ability to ascertain staff training needs and provide such training.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems, exercising good judgment.
- Produce a month end report with rationales as to why they are above or behind budget in terms of food cost as part of the GM’s report and also an action plan
Interested candidates can apply online at the web link below.